Tuesday, October 16, 2018

A Year in the Life of a Media Coordinator

Each year educators (and pretty much every working person everywhere) must prove they are worth their salt.  We are observed and evaluated multiple times.  We hope that our amazingness shines through in those few brief moments that our administrators and bosses choose to come in.  The reality is that we are so much more than a few fleeting moments.  It's what we do day in and day out that makes us amazing, but no matter how well we plan a few observations here and there can't capture all of it.  So, how do we make sure who we are and what we do shines through?  

We have to tell our own story.

Last year I kept a running spreadsheet with detailed information regarding the makerspace activities I did with teachers and classes.  I listed the teacher, number of students, a description of the activity, dates and more.  I took pictures of everything and pulled everything together in a folder to share.   I plan to keep that going this year, but I want to add another piece.  This blog.

I don't claim to be a writer, but I plan to use this as a tool to document my year.  As I go along, I'll include the standards from the NC Media Coordinator Evaluation Rubric that tie into each activity and group them by tags.  It will be one more addition to the portfolio I'll use during evaluations and my summative.  Hopefully this will provide other media coordinators with ideas for activities you can use in your own portfolio. 

I'd love to get your feedback and ideas on how to expand the things I include.  Please comment as often as you like.  We are all in this together.  Together we can build media programs that will be go beyond our wildest dreams!

Time to enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Are Not Alone. 3 Ways to Expand Your PLN.

Do you find yourself feeling a bit lonely or isolated being the only librarian at your school?   If you work in a small district, you may ...